Fretherne Lodge

Gloucestershire

By Jon Shaw

Photo:Fretherne Lodge

Fretherne Lodge

Taken from the sale of Fretherne Court catalogue donated by Tony Ashby

Fretherne Lodge is on the site of a much older house - having been re-built around 1750 from an earlier Elizabethan Mansion, owned by the Cliffords - and the house then re-built of course still stands.

Fretherne Lodge

Extract from 'Antiquities of Arlingham Parish' by John Sayer, first published 1886, re-published 2008.

In a manuscript in the Bodleian Library at Oxford, Fretherne Lodge is described as a "stately house with a most noble staircase and turrets of freestone belonging to the Cliffords, who had here a park". It was erected by James Clifford, an officer in the household of Queen Elizabeth, and was built in the style of that day, with a view to her reception in her progress to Bristol in 1574.

The mansion, then much dilapidated, was taken down about 1750. The older portions of the present Fretherne Lodge are probably the remains of the out buildings or adjuncts of the Elizabethan house. The tradition is that a coach and six might have turned on the stair landings. Traces of an avenue leading from this house to Frampton may yet be found in the meadows on the right-hand side of the Frampton Road, where single fine elms may be seen at intervals inline with one another, which were probably young trees when the avenue either perished or was cut down.

This page was added by Iris Capps on 26/07/2009.
Comments about this page

Sadly for James Clifford, after he spent a considerable amount on his mansion at Fretherne Lodge, Queen Elizabeth I disappointed him by staying instead at Frocester Court, home of George Huntley. Frocester Court had then been recently rebuilt. Queen Elizabeth arrived there on 10 August 1574 and from there travelled on to Berkeley.

By Jon Shaw
On 26/07/2009

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.